Thursday 25 August 2016

Highland Mary's Grave Refurbished

What a difference the recent refurbishment has made to Highland Mary's grave in Greenock Cemetery.  It had fallen into a great deal of disrepair, and the sculptures were starting to crumble.  Now it is looking much better and brighter.  (James Watt's Cairn is in the background.)


How the monument looked before restoration.
Highland Mary was Mary Campbell, one of Scottish poet Robert Burns's great loves.  He wrote a number of poems dedicated to here.  You can read all about her here in a great leaflet available to download by Inverclyde Council.



While most of the monument is now looking in great shape, I had a wee chuckle when I saw this -


The words of that wonderful Burns poem came to me, slightly altered ... "My love is like a red, red nose".  (Sorry Burns fans!)



Good to see that Greenock's heritage is being cared for.

4 comments:

  1. That made me chuckle. It's a lovely memorial, beautifully restored - and rightly so - though I gather Burns had a reputation for being generous with his affections. Anyway, I should like to see this - so many places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was there a few years ago so nice to see it restored. That's a fascinating cemetery anyway and makes a really enjoyable walk with the largest collection of monkey puzzle trees I've seen in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job of refurbishing this monument. I'm always glad to see history being kept up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see Mary's final resting place, my grandmother would take me to visit this monument on many occasions my grandmother would say" hopefully mary at last rests in peace shes been moved about to much ?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very welcome.