Tuesday 21 July 2015

Inverclyde on the Open Top Bus

Had a fabulous morning seeing Inverclyde as tourists to the area see it.  A couple of friends and I decided to take a trip on the open top bus tour of the area run by local bus company McGill's - "The Local Highlights Tour".


The tours run when cruise ships visits the area.  Today the "Horizon" was berthed at Greenock Ocean Terminal and we got the bus just outside the terminal at Patrick Street.  The tours leave here on the hour - check McGill's website for times.



As you will see from my photographs, it was a bit of a dull, overcast day, but we had great fun on the tour which went through Greenock, up to Port Glasgow then down to Gourock via the Lyle Hill where we admired the views, returning to Patrick Street via the Esplanade.  I would have liked a map showing the route the bus tour takes, pointing out places of interest and a note of the possible stopping points. This would help tourists plan which places they would like to get off and visit.  The ticket was valid for the day, so there would have been time to get off at Newark Castle, for example and get back on a later bus.


We had a couple of (literally) hair-raising moments with overhanging tree branches on Newton Street and had to duck low to avoid them!


Our guide for the tour was Lesley - I don't think she was a local and tended to ramble a bit.  I had a chat with our driver Pat who informed me that he sometimes does the commentary, I think I would like to hear his version of the tour - he is a local and I'm sure would have plenty of interesting information!


Next time I'm going to choose a nice sunny day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome.